Fairmont State West Virginia
The history of Fairmont State is part of the history of public education in West Virginia. Founded in 1865, two years after the state was admitted into the Union, the school was established as the West Virginia Normal School at Fairmont a private institution dedicated to educating teachers.
The West Virginia Normal School at Fairmont was eventually purchased by the state to become the Fairmont State Normal School, which made training more readily available to the public. In early 1917, the school moved from its location on Fairmont Avenue to its grand new hilltop location on Locust Avenue, the building now called Hardway Hall.
The institution is known for a number of firsts establishing two theatre honoraries, Alpha Psi Omega and Delta Psi Omega, and founding the International Thespian Society. The institution has long been a leader in the field of education and the study of folklore; ours was the third folklore center in the United States.
In the 1930s, the West Virginia Legislature changed the institution's name once again to Fairmont State Teachers College, a title that would change once more in 1943-44 to Fairmont State College.
Fairmont State Community and Technical College was founded in 1974 and received independent accreditation in 2003.
Gov. Bob Wise signed a historic bill on April 7, 2004, that created two big changes. Fairmont State College's name changed to Fairmont State University and FSC&TC was granted its first president.
Today, Fairmont State University and Fairmont State Community and Technical College, serve the Upper Monongahela Valley, the state of West Virginia and the larger mid-Atlantic region as a resource for lifelong learning and career enhancement.
FS Profile of Enrolment
Fairmont State's total Enrolment is 7, 550.
Our student to faculty ratio is 17:1.
About 85 percent of our students receive financial aid.
We offer more than 90 four-year majors, graduate programs and 50 two-year majors, certificates and skill-set certificates.
We have more than 85 student organizations.
Our main campus in Fairmont, W. Va. , features 15 buildings on more than 90 acres. From our historic administration building called Hardway Hall, to our brand new buildings, You'll be comfortable finding your way around.
FSC&TC offers off-campus courses in 13 counties in West Virginia. Our other facilities include the Merchant Street Center in Fairmont, W. Va. , the Robert. C. Byrd National Aerospace Education Center in Bridgeport, W. Va. , and the Gaston Caperton Center in Clarksburg, W. Va.
Our main campus is undergoing a major expansion project, including a new residence hall, student center and parking garage.
The new residence hall, Bryant Place, houses a total of 400 students. The building has a total of 110, 000 square feet and features 100 four-bed suites with a combination of double and single bedrooms. Each suite has restroom facilities and a shower. Each suite has a combination of loft and captain furniture including wardrobes, desks and additional drawer storage. Computer, TV and telephone connections are available for each resident. There is a study lounge and kitchen facility on each of the six floors.
The new student center, the Falcon Center, features state-of-the-art dining and recreation facilities. The structure, which includes the existing building Colebank Hall, is the largest on campus with a total of 126, 000 square feet. Features of the building include a four-lane lap pool with a whirlpool and sauna, an outdoor terrace, large gyms for a variety of sports, the campus bookstore, dining facilities and a game room.
The 269, 000 square foot facility provides 940 parking spaces, almost doubling the number of parking spaces available on campus.
For more information about Fairmont State and to schedule a campus tour, visit www.fairmontstate.edu
Fairmont State Office of Admissions
Fairmont State Office of Admissions